Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Day 3,4 maybe 5...I can't tell anymore.

So far so good. I haven't had to work yet, Rebecca hasn't had to work as much as she used to, and therefore we actually get to spend some time together here. This never happens on tour and I'm thrilled now. We have hours to kill together today and we have endless possibilities. Maybe a shrine or two, maybe the zoo. Quite possibly we'll go shopping for gift for our families. But in any case, I won't be alone.
The first time I came here, I didn't eat the entire time on tour. I can't remember where all we went, but I do remember loosing around twenty pounds and loving it. I think I wanted to look like a crack-head back then. And I did.
The second time I came to Tokyo I was dating Rebecca and tried to sample the local cuisine just to please her. Her being the crazed foodie that she is. But if you try to eat something that you don't want to and are just doing it to please, you just end up hating it more, and probably gag in the process. And I did.
This trip however, after five years of expanding my palate, has become a Japanese cuisine extravaganza. Pork katsu? Give it. Yaki Tori? Sock it to me. Sushi platter? Bring two. Miso soup? Stick it in my veins! Aside from eel and sea urchin, I will pretty much try anything. Maybe not enjoy it, but I'll try it.
Accessing this food is the challenge. Signs for a restaurant here look as though it was written by a kitten with a Sharpie pen taped to its' paw. (that's something I can't write in Dance Magazine!) Who knows what lies within when you can't read a menu outside. Also, restaurants aren't even located on street level, they're often located on the fifth to fortieth floor. So to find these restaurants one must walk down the street looking up. This kind of behavior in New York would result in someone (me) encouraging the person to "get out of my city you fucking tourist. It's called a sideWALK, not a sideSTAND !" But here, the treasure is up. And you've got to really hunt for your meal. But once you find it, damn it's good. Sometimes it's still moving on your plate, but it's good.

No comments: